WHAT IS THE BOARD OF EDUCATION?
In Illinois, public education is the state's constitutional responsibility. The state delegates to local school boards the authority to govern school districts within the parameters set by state law. Boards are made up of seven school district residents elected at-large to serve terms of four years without pay. So, although the board is politically responsible to district voters, it is legally responsible to the state.
WHAT ARE THE BOARD OF EDUCATION DUTIES?
- Deciding what shall be taught in the schools;
- Hiring necessary personnel and setting their salaries;
- Providing and maintaining school buildings;
- Approving all contracts and paying all bills; and
- Arranging for revenue necessary to operate the district
WHO ARE THE BOARD OF EDUCATION MEMBERS?
- Michelle Hoereth, President
- Carolyn Griggs, Vice President
- Misha Blackman, Secretary
- Stephen Paredes, Member
- Cameron Nelson, Member
- Christina Vlietstra, Member
- David Linnear, Member
WHAT IS THE BOARD OF EDUCATION'S ROLE?
- Adopt goals and policies that meet state requirements and reflect community needs;
- Provide the resources necessary to pursue its goals according to its policies; and
- Monitor District performance to see that results are consistent with goals and policies.
HOW CAN I SUBMIT A FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT (FOIA) REQUEST?
Any person requesting records of Flossmoor School District 161 may file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, or individuals are invited to simply call the Superintendent's Executive Assistant at 708-647-7030. FOIA forms are available at the District Office, located at 41 E. Elmwood Drive, Chicago Heights, IL 60411, and should be returned to the same address. Please be specific in disclosing what records need to be copied and/or certified. Current FOIA law requires that the District respond promptly, or with five (5) working days of the request. This time period may be extended up to an additional five (5) working days under "extraordinary" circumstances as defined by law. Fees include a charge of 15 cents per page for documents in excess of 50 pages. Questions about FOIA can be directed to FOIA Officer, Superintendent, Dana Smith, Ed.D. Additional information regarding FOIA requests in the state of Illinois can be found on the Illinois Attorney General's website.
HOW CAN I CONTACT THE BOARD OF EDUCATION?
Individual board members may not act alone or make decisions binding upon the board or the District. Binding decisions are made only upon a vote taken by the school board. The District 161 Board can be e-mailed at email@example.com. Questions about the Board of Education can be directed to the Superintendent's Office at 708-647-7030.